This award has been established to honor school-based teacher educators who work in a clinical environment which enables them to become better at what they do. Three corresponding divisions of the award have been established. An award may be given annually in each division.
- Member of ATE and GATE State Affiliate (three-year minimum) or
- Service to ATE and GATEState Affiliate or
- Nominated by GATE member
- Primary employer is a school district. Functions in dual roles of classroom teacher and supervisor of preservice teachers (Division I); or functions in dual roles of classroom teacher and mentor of other teachers; or, school district employee whose primary role is staff development/in-service teacher education.
- Demonstrates roles as a clinician through the following:
- Assists teachers in applying the content of the pedagogy of effective teaching
- Emphasizes reflective teaching and self analysis
- Employs exemplary coaching /conference techniques
- Demonstrates other outstanding supervisory traits
Nomination Packet Must Include:
- Cover page to include nominee’s name, telephone number and e-mail address, name and address of employing school, job title with description of position and explanation of duties, dates of employment; name and contact information of person nominating and his/her position in State Affiliate if applicable.
- Professional resume of nominee which includes a chronological listing of educational experiences, previous positions, and professional activities.
- Letters from supervisors, peers, students, and professional colleagues to support nomination (no more than three).
- Other documentation that demonstrates or confirms outstanding performance or meritorious service as a teacher educator, for example: newspaper articles, award certificates, other commendations, invitations to present, expression of appreciation, program materials developed by the nominee.
Deadline for receipt of nominations: September 1, 2018
Mail or email all nominations to:
Dr. Janet Strickland, University of West Georgia
160 Forest Hall Place
Fayetteville, Georgia 30214
2017: Stephanie Burnham, Dewar Elementary School, Lowndes County
2016: Ellen Flynn, South Jackson Elementary School, Jackson County
2015: Jan S. Witherington, Bethlehem Elementary School
2014: not awarded
2013: not awarded
2012: Rachel Wilkinson Parr, Kings Bridge Road Middle School
2010: Joseph Lamar Revenell, Barnett Shoals Elementary School
2009: not awarded
2008: Cassandra Matthews, Nesbit Elementary School
2007: Heather Bilton, Savannah-Chatham County School System
2006: not awarded
2005: Maggie Paon, Mountain View Elementary School