This award, in honor Robert Knowles, a former president of GATE (1975-1976) and an educator at both the public school and college level, recognizes a classroom teacher whose teaching and supervision excellence merits special recognition. It carries a monetary stipend, a year’s membership in GATE and an appropriate plaque.
Nominations should be typed and in letter form. They should emphasize the unique contribution made to your program and/or contribution to the profession. The submission should be limited to one letter of recommendation and no more than two pages. More than one person may nominate on the same letter. Please include the address of the nominee, the work site, and the name of the principal or superintendent. Two additional letters of support should be included in the nomination packet. No nomination letters will be returned.
- Must be a classroom teacher in a Georgia public county or city school system or in a private independent or parochial school in Georgia.
- Extensive experience with student teachers from teacher education programs in colleges and universities in the state. It is desirable, but not mandatory, that the recipient also have experience working with early field experience students prior to their student teaching.
- Must demonstrate a cooperative attitude in working with college or university personnel.
- Must be prepared for effective supervision. Evidence of preparation may include, but not limited to, seminars, and workshops for the development of supervision skills and Supervising Teacher Service (TSS) certification.
Nomination Packet Must Include:
- Cover page to include nominee’s name, telephone number and e-mail address, name and address of employing school, job title with description of position and explanation of duties, dates of employment; name and contact information of person nominating and his/her position in State Affiliate if applicable.
- Letters from supervisors, peers, students, and professional colleagues to support nomination (no more than three).
- Other documentation that demonstrates or confirms outstanding performance or meritorious service as a teacher educator, for example: newspaper articles, award certificates, other commendations, invitations to present, expression of appreciation, program materials developed by the nominee.
Deadline for receipt of nominations: Friday, September 15, 2017
Mail or email all nominations to:
Dr. Janet Strickland, University of West Georgia
160 Forest Hall Place
Fayetteville, Georgia 30214
2016: Marci McKeever, Turner Woods Elementary School, Jones County
2015: Cheryl Nicolls, Brooks Elementary School
2014: Gloria Anderson, Timothy Road Elementary School
2013: Cheryl Wright, Isle of Hope Elementary School
2012: Michelle Mark, Dunwoody Springs Elementary School
2011: Marianne Ayoob, Barnett Shoals Elementary School
2010: Michelle Whitmire, Holly Springs Elementary School
2009: Angela Susan Brooks and Elizabeth Royer
2008: not awarded
2007: Cindy Butler, Richard Hill Primary School
2006: Jennifer Okiyama, Dunwoody Springs Charter School
2005: not awarded